Red Velvet Cupcakes are essentially perfect for the holiday season because of their festive red color. Of course their rich, velvety flavor doesn’t hurt though! Top these cupcakes with Christmas sprinkles for a sprinkle of holiday cheer and enjoy.
Makes 30 Cupcakes, Prep time–20 minutes, Cook time–25 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) Red Food Color
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low-speed until just blended. Do not overbeat. Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely. Frost with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting.
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 16 ounces confectioners’ sugar
Beat cream cheese, butter, sour cream and vanilla extract in large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
Love food. Love self. Love life.