Every Christmas season I tend to make the same recipes, so this week I have decided to try out a few new recipes to add to my holiday collection. Today I made Gingerbread Cupcakes with a Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting and have officially found a new favorite! They are so delicious and add a unique twist to the traditional gingerbread flavor. Here is the recipe for Gingerbread Cupcakes from SimplyRecipes.com.
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick of unsalted butter)
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of unsulphured molasses (not blackstrap)
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup of grated ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a small bowl, melt the butter and water together in the microwave, covering the top with plastic wrap.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda and dry spices in a bowl.
- Beat together the molasses and brown sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds between each.
- Beat in the flour mixture slowly until just incorporated. Add the butter mixture and the grated ginger and beat until smooth. Batter will be runny.
- Spoon into cupcake papers, about 3/4 full. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a minute to set before moving to a wire rack to fully cool.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting, recipe from Epicurious.com
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- In a bowl cream together the cream cheese, and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar and the vanilla, and beat the mixture until it is fluffy and smooth.
- Beat in the zest and the lemon juice and chill the frosting for 30 minutes.
- Spread the frosting on the cupcakes and top each cupcake with holiday sprinkles.
Love food. Love self. Love life.